Map of Piccadilly and Warwick Street in 1746
This map shows the location of the chapel of the Portuguese Embassy (from 1747 onwards the Bavarian Embassy). This chapel was transformed into the Church of St Gregory in 1790. In the 1840’s the church was renamed the Church of Our Lady of the Assumption and St Gregory. It was the church at which Maria Fitzherbert worshipped. In 1785 she became the first wife of the then Prince of Wales, later King George IV. It was also the first Catholic church visited by Saint John Henry Newman when he was a boy. A description of Warwick Street and the church can be found here.